Wednesday, April 4, 2012

OK, today is Wednesday, April 4.  It has been a fun two weeks.  I've met a lot of people, some thruhikers and some section hikers.  Most people are really neat.  There are people college age, a lot in there 20's, a fair amount of us in our 50's and some in there 60's and every where in between.  Some people are real characters, most people are pretty cool.  The trail is a great equalizer, everyone is a hiker, it doesn't matter who or what you did back home.  After the first couple of days, people stop asking what you did before the trail. I have broken out of the pack and am hiking at my own pace.  For the most part I've separated from the people I first hike with.  Tony-"Crispy" and Corey-"Candyman" have slowed down to nurse some injuries.  I've met up with some others for a day or two and we keep criss-crossing paths. The first week I hiked about 8-9 miles a day to get my hiking legs back.  The plan for the second week was to keep it to 12 miles per day and then go the 15 miles per day the third week.  The second week I was up to 15 miles per day with a 21 mile day over Abbot Mt., and a 23 mile day over Wayah and Wessler Mt's into the Nantahala Outfitter Center.  I planned on hiking into Gatlingburg to take a zero day (day off no miles traveled), but found this cool place (Cabin in the Woods) in Stecoah NC.  I pulled in there on a rainy day, and took a zero day there.  From there I was going to hike 8 straight days through the Smokey's.  I got through the first 2 and a half days through the Smokey's and came out at Newfound Gap, around 200 miles onto the trail.  Yesterday, I was met with three tremendous rain storms, ducked out of 2 at shelters, and got soaked by the third on the last 1.7 miles into the shelter I was staying for the night (that was yesterday April 3).  I decided to hike 10 miles over Clingman's Dome and get off the trail at Newfound Gap, take a half day to come into Gatlingburg, wash and dry cloths, eat a enormous meal (full rack of ribs), and replace some gear.  When I came out of woods and into the parking area at Newfound Gap, there where about a 100 cars in the parking lot.  I went to ask someone which way to Gatlingburg, and this man Bernie asked if I was a thruhiker, and then brought me to his truck where his wife Beth was waiting with trail magic, coke, pizza, sandwiches, little Debbie's, candy, fruit cups, chips, and more.  Five minutes after I got there and started pigging out (no exaggeration), it started pouring buckets.  They waited another half hour to see if anyone else was coming off the trail, and then drove me into Gatlingburg.  It is there 28th wedding anniversary and they do this for a week every year on their anniversary because they get a big kick out of it.  They live near St. Petersburg FLA.  By far Beth and Bernie are the coolest people I have met.  Tomorrow, back on the trail and I should be in Hot Springs, NC sometime Sunday.  I will take a zero day on Monday the 9th and will try to figure out how to upload pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sit a bit. Saw you on Honeymoon hikers guest book, thought we'd shout out. Hope all is well. Beth and Bernie. Bbbriden820 @aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sit a bit. Saw you on Honeymoon hikers guest book, thought we'd shout out. Hope all is well. Beth and Bernie. Bbbriden820 @aol.com

    ReplyDelete