Friday, July 27, 2012

Hi everyone, today is Friday, July 27. Last week I got caught in the Gorham NH, vortex.  I ended up spending 5 zero days there.  I got off the trail a week ago Tuesday and zeroed on Wednesday.  On Thursday I went pack to Pinkham Notch and hiked forward to Gorham NH.  I thought this would take 2 days but I was able to complete this difficult section in one day.  Since the next section between Gorham NH and Grafton Notch in Maine is 31 miles and one of the most difficult and slow sections on the trail I couldn't hike forward or slack pack in one day (Friday) so I took another zero day.  I stayed in Gorham because Denise came up for Saturday and Sunday and we had a nice weekend together. I left Gorham NH on Monday morning and held up after only 17 miles because of looming thunderstorms.  I was in the shelter on top of Mt Success that night and a wild thunderstorm came through, and it rained all night.  The next day, Tuesday, I climb down into to Mahousic Notch.  This is considered the most difficult mile on the trail.  It was, It took me 2 hours to climb over,. around, under, and between these boulders.  What made it even more difficult was that everything was wet and I fell 14 times.  It was a slow laborious day and I only completed 10 miles. Wednesday and Thursday were better hiking days but I had not been feeling all that well.  There is a virus that has been hitting both southbound and northbound hikers between Gorham NH and Andover ME.  On Thursday about noon I jumped off the trail in Andover, ME because I had not been feeling great, the weather was lousy, I needed a shower, and needed to do laundry.  This morning, Friday, at about 3:30 I woke up ill and have been making multiple runs to the bathroom. I got the virus and feel miserable and keep vomiting, etc.  I am a little discouraged, because I keep seeing people who I passed in New York going by  me.  I feel like I'm falling behind.  It is now 6:30 and I am feeling a little better and have been able to eat Ritz crackers and drink Gatorade, and so far  so good I can keep it all down. Hopefully, in the morning I feel better and have enough energy to hike out.  It is suppose to rain Saturday and Sunday, but I need to get going and hike on.  Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and hike into Rangely for Sunday and meet up with Dale and Celine (who are spending the week there).

No comments:

Post a Comment